Contaminated Sites & Remediation
- Phase I & II Environmental Site Assessments for property acquisitions and bank financing
- Stage 1 & 2 Preliminary Site Investigations identifying contaminated sites and regulatory compliance
- Detailed Site Investigations and Hydrogeological Assessments
- Remediation planning
- Design and implementation of Groundwater Monitoring Programs
- Site remediation, including project design, subcontractor procurement, on-site management, and Regulatory approvals and permitting
- Reclamation & Re-vegetation
- Practical experience designing and implementing remediation plans to meet the objectives of both the property owner and regulators
- Soil relocation, in-situ, ex-situ remediation strategies, and a broad range of remediation subcontractors
- Spill response, abatement, and site management
- Risk identification and contingency planning
- Site remediation, follow-up compliance monitoring
- Creation of Emergency Response Plans, Spill Contingency Plans
Environmental Construction Monitoring
TerraWest provides environmental construction monitoring services for major road and highway upgrades, bridge demolition and replacement, stream diversion, and infrastructure upgrades. These works include the provision of:
- Construction Environmental Management Plans (CEMPs)
- Environmental Management Plans (EMPs)
- Erosion & Sediment Control Plans (ESCPs)
- Soil Management & Relocation Plans
- Riparian Areas Regulation (RAR) Assessments
- Stream Diversion and In-stream Works
- On-site Environmental Monitoring (EM)
Our designated personnel on these projects are decision makers, problem solvers, and come with extensive on-the-ground experience on high-value and high-profile construction projects for the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and regional municipalities.
Planning & Development
TerraWest provides strategic advice to our clients, to mitigate pollution issues and liabilities, reduce long term operational costs, improve relations with regulatory agencies and maximize resource potential.
Property Acquisitions or Divestitures
Advice on environmental liabilities derived from potentially contaminated land (industrial facilities, gas stations), waste and mineral operations; providing a simple non-technical summary in client friendly language; detailed pre-divestiture environmental audits and investigation reports; and intrusive investigations.
Waste Stream Management
Cataloguing available site resources and potential technical constraints, such as drainage patterns, soil types and conditions.
- Select waste landfill Operational Plans (Wood-waste, Construction & Demolition Waste, Municipal waste)
- Waste Steam Management License (WSML) applications and Regulatory and Municipal liaison
- Landfill Monitoring Plans and implementation, Closure/Post Closure Plans
- Waste diversion strategies maximizing resource potentials
- Composting Plans and Regulatory applications
- Waste Discharge Permit applications and Regulatory liaison
- Operational Plans
- Compliance Monitoring
- Hazardous Materials Surveys prior to renovation, demolition or decommissioning
- Materials abatement and Management Plans
- Hazardous Waste Recycling Facilities Operational Plans, Regulatory compliance auditing, demonstration trials, permitting
Oil & Gas
As part of BC’s regulatory requirements, well sites and facilities that are no longer productive are required to restore the surface environment to reasonable conditions prior to its development according to the Oil and Gas Activities Act. In order to obtain a Certificate of Restoration (CoR) an operator must prove that the Site has been remediated.
TerraWest’s qualified environmental professionals can provide the necessary Environmental Site Investigations in order to identify the presence of any contamination and a report detailing how contamination was remediated as required for obtaining a CoR. Our technical expertise has enabled TerraWest to ensure Oil & Gas operators in BC are carrying out the necessary regulatory requirements throughout the operational life of a project.
Additional services that TerraWest provides Oil & Gas operators:
Under the Oil and Gas Activities Act (OGAA)
- ALC Act Application for Non-Farm Use (Schedule A Report): includes area assessment, predevelopment site assessment, recommendations for soil conservation, and a preliminary reclamation plan.
- Emergency Response Plans
- Consultation on Environmental Protection & Management of operations
Under the Environmental Management Act (EMA)
- Site Profiles
- Notice of Independent Remediation
- Certificate of Compliance (CoC)
Evaluation & Audits
Appling applicable legislation and guidance for industry set out by government is just one of the ways TerraWest provides environmental auditing of compliance and performance.
Creating an effective Environmental Management Systems (EMS) that can be tailored to fit by TerraWest. Through development and implementation, an EMS can be established within a company through training, regular audits and document creation and control.
Compliance Audits can be completed on:
- Fuelling Infrastructure and Fuel Management
- Environmental Management Systems
- Industrial Facilities
- Spill Response and Emergency Preparedness
With TerraWest, we provide project design, monitoring and implementation with continued evaluation through the duration of the project. By managing our contracts and subcontractor procurement, we can insure that the project is completed as per client request and budgeting. We are the link between regulatory bodies and the requirements they set for your company or project.
- Project monitoring and evaluation
- GAP Analyses
- Project and program control
- Regulatory liaison
- Project design, implementation, and execution
- Contract management and subcontractor procurement
TerraWest has extensive training experience in the environmental and forestry disciplines. Specifically, we have trained forest professionals, silviculture workers, loggers and other forest workers in BCTS ISO 14001 EMS and timber pricing. We have provided the training via videoconference and in boardrooms across the province.
Training can be provided on:
- Emergency Spill Response
- Hazardous Materials Identification and Abatement
- BCTS EMS System
- WHMIS and TDG